Sunday, April 6, 2008

The End of An Era?

Last night I watched the Canucks game. It has been a long season and a very trying one as a Canuck fan. Expectations were high this year, especially coming off of division title and going two round into the playoffs last year.



I suppose there are many factors that lead the Canucks to be a bust this year. But the fact remains that they didnt qualify for the playoffs and that should be considered nothing more than a major disappointment.



Anyways back to the reason I watched the game. It seemed that for many in attendance and those watching the game on tv, it appeared that this may have been Trevor Linden's final game as a Canuck and as a NHL player. He recieved a few standing o's and at the end of the game



and in what was a very classy move by Jerome Iginla and The Flames, the entire team came over and shook Trev's hand. Finally he was made the first star in a game in which his team lost 7-1. He took of lap around the rink and looked like he was savouring the moment.



My favorite Trevor Linden moment that I ever witnessed was being at Game 6 of the Calgary series in 1994. I was at the game with Rob and Lanny and we watched the game from about midway up the blues at the old Pacific Coliseum. It was overtime and Trevor scored to send the series to game 7. The place was crazy and it was definetly a game that I will never forget. I still even have my Trevor Linden for Rookie of the year in 1989!


The guy is a legend and has been one of my favorite players and shall always remain that way in my memory. I suppose that when he retires from playing, the Canucks would be stupid if they didnt offer him a job in management, ala Steve Yzerman (my other fav player) in Detroit. He seems destined to be in the game for years to come.


Good luck to Trevor Linden and thanks for the memories (if this is the end?!)

No comments: